Only one month into Donald Trump’s presidency, and it is clear that the new administration is on a mission to destroy family planning funding and limit reproductive freedom worldwide. So far, Trump has reinstated and expanded the Global Gag Rule, supported efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act and defund Planned Parenthood, and nominated far right judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. These hostile actions will have deadly consequences for women here at home and around the world.
If you have ever attended a reproductive rights rally, you have probably heard someone chant, “When repro rights are under attack, what do we do?” answered by, “Stand up, fight back!” We will stand up and fight back against anti-choice politicians who try to roll back our hard-earned progress with #Fight4HER, our new campaign supporting the Global HER Act.
This is not Trump’s America—this is the people’s America. Join us in the #Fight4HER as we push back against every attack on reproductive rights and health over the next four years. If we stand up and fight together, the opposition will have no choice but to listen. Here are a few ways that you can be an effective activist for repro rights during the Trump presidency:
- Learn and engage: Make sure you know what’s up by educating yourself and others on pending and new legislation, like Trump’s Global Gag Rule. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and engage in the conversation with friends and people in your community, and on social media.
- Make activism a part of your routine: Whether it is a daily phone call, tweet, or time spent volunteering, commit to actions you can do on a set schedule. Support the Global HER Act and receive messages about our efforts to stand up for women around the globe.
- Like, follow, & ❤: You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Our Team PopConn Facebook group is a great place to connect with other Population Connection Action Fund supporters.
- Stay up to date with our #Fight4HER campaign by texting “FIGHT” to 52886. Easy enough, right?
- Organize: Create or join a coalition in your community to #Fight4HER. Collect petitions to send to your elected officials, host an event on campus to discuss reproductive rights and health, or request an advocacy training from our staff. We have six #Fight4HER organizers in key states—get connected today.
- Sure. You. Vote: Ever hear the quote “Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote”? There is an election every year. You can register here or check your voter status on your local Board of Elections website. You’ll be rewarded by knowing that you are an active participant in our democracy.
- Hold your senators and representatives accountable: Know who your elected officials are and where they stand on the issues you care about. The people who represent us in Congress should reflect our values. Support candidates who will stand up for reproductive freedom.
- Lobby your elected officials on Capitol Hill: Our annual Capitol Hill Days advocacy weekend in D.C. is just one month away. The weekend will empower you to become an effective advocate for global reproductive rights, and it’s free to attend.
- Make your voice heard: Find a platform to talk about reproductive rights. Activism is not all about protests and meetings; there are many ways to contribute to the movement. Try creative mediums such as making art, writing an op-ed in your local paper or even knitting.
- Practice self-care: Change is never a one-time event. Make sure you don’t burn out by practicing self-care. Here are some tips for creating your own self-care routine.
No matter what happens in the next four years, we will persist in our fight for reproductive freedom around the globe. Fight back with us today!