2021 Capitol Hill Days Recap
Published: March 26, 2021
Population Connection and Population Connection Action Fund hosted our annual advocacy conference, Capitol Hill Days, from March 17–22, 2021. It was a huge success!
Through a series of virtual, hands-on advocacy trainings and informational workshops over 200 participants learned how to:
- Advocate for reproductive health and rights for everyone, everywhere.
- Urge their elected officials to support an investment in global reproductive health and family planning.
- Stay engaged in reproductive rights advocacy locally, year-round.
On Monday, March 22, participants attended 91 virtual meetings with their senators and representatives to advocate for the permanent repeal of the Global Gag Rule and for a greater U.S. investment in international family planning and reproductive health services. Nearly 400 people from across the country joined them in flooding offices with over 1,200 emails, phone calls, and social media posts. We also stormed Twitter with a #Fight4HER “rally,” reaching over 5.3 million people.
Wednesday, March 17
Voices From the Frontlines: Advocacy and Action for Reproductive Health Worldwide
- Dr. Tlaleng Mofokeng “Dr. T”, Medical Doctor, Author, Advocate, and UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Health
- Sandra Castañeda, Lawyer, Human Rights and Feminist Activist, General Coordinator, Red de Salud
- Michelle Dubón, Medical Doctor, Advocate, and Medical Director of WINGS Guatemala
Thursday, March 18
Keynote: Pushing Forward a Bold Agenda on International Reproductive Health and Rights
- Keynote: Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky (D-IL-9)
- Dara Purvis, Associate Dean for Research and Partnerships and Professor of Law, Penn State University School of Law; Vice Chair, Population Connection Board of Directors; Member, Population Connection Board of Directors
- María Antonieta Alcalde Castro, Director of Ipas Central America and Mexico
- Zara Ahmed, Associate Director of Federal Issues, Guttmacher Institute
- Serra Sippel, President, Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE)
Friday, March 19
Population, Reproductive Health, and Climate Resiliency: Views From Latin America and East Africa
- Rodrigo Barillas, Executive Director, WINGS Guatemala (and Population Connection board member)
- Dr. Gladys Kalema-Zikusoka, Founder and CEO, Conservation Through Public Health
- Steven Bloomstein, President, Turimiquire Foundation
- Janet Larsen, Founder & Principal, One Planet Strategies
Saturday, March 20
The Fight for LGBTQ+ Reproductive Health and Rights at Home and Abroad
- Colorado State Representative Leslie Herod
- Annemarie Kamuyu, Operations Manager, National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission
- Grace Kamau, Regional Coordinator, Africa Sex Workers Alliance
- Luisa Orza, HIV & Gender Technical Lead, Frontline AIDS